20 Top Songs in 20 Years

For the past two weeks, that bastion of good musical taste and daily yummy ear treats, Triple J has been running a vote for the Hottest 100 Songs of the Past 20 Years

And given that I am a geek music lover with a penchant for lists,   ... a tendancy for anal retentiveness ...  a geek streak, I have been reminiscing and cataloging my favourite songs between 1993 and 2012. 

I tried to find songs that I not only utterly love but covered one or more of the traits of music that - when wafting loudly from my car speakers - make it difficult for me to retain an air of dignity while sitting in plain sight of other drivers at the lights: a) dancey b) poppy c) rappy d)Aussie e) rocky f) beautiful voicey g) from an all time best albummy and/or h) clever lyricsy.

In chronological order:

Linger - The Cranberries (1993)



Distant Sun - Crowded House (1993)



Laid - James (1994)



Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye (1995)



Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve (1997)



Brimful of Asha - Cornershop (1997)



These Days - Powderfinger (1999)



Right Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim (1999)



I Try - Macy Gray (1999)





Porcelain - Moby (2000)


We Come 1 - Faithless (2001)

(note: this is my favourite version of this song ... listen for what Maxi Jazz says in the last few seconds. It always gets me!)

Superstylin' - Groove Armada (2001)



Lose Yourself - Eminem (2002)


Seed 2.0 - The Roots (2003)

Mr Brightside - The Killers (2004)


Fix You - Coldplay (2005)


Kids - MGMT (2008)


The Fear - Lily Allen (2008)


And the Boys - Angus & Julia Stone (2010)


Shake it Out - Florence + the Machine (2011)



It also pained me not to include:
  • The Test - Chemical Brothers with Richard Ashcroft
  • Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
  • Orange Crush - REM
  • Are you gonna go my way - Lenny Kravitz
  • Friday I'm in Love - The Cure
  • Something Good - Utah Saints
  • Lost - The Badloves
  • Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
  •  Carnival - Natalie Merchant
  • Born Slippy - Underworld
  • Professional Widow - Tori Amos
  • It's Like That - Run DMC
  • My Friend - Groove Armada
  • Silent Sigh - Badly Drawn Boy
  • Relapse - Little Birdy
  • Draw Your Sword - Angus & Julia Stone
  • Thank You - Dido
  • Hurts Like Heaven - Coldplay
  • All that you can't leave behind - U2
  • Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
I could go on. I better stop. Hammer time. 


Popular Posts