Stating the bleeding obvious


 Great word. I hope I remember it because I think that continuing to extend your vocabulary throughout your life is likewise salubrious.

Finding the opportunity to inject newly learned or unconventional words into common conversation is sometimes a little tricky (and we've all been in the situation when someone has used a word that has utterly confused us but nodded knowingly meanwhile not having the foggiest what they are talking about). However, I am of the firm opinion that we should still try (granted, there is a fine line between expanding your vocab and sounding like a pretentious wanker ...)

Often when I'm writing for b2b clients, I encounter some resistance when I try to include a word a little out of the ordinary. The one change I might see is a request to edit something like clone changed to duplicate. I see my clients' point of view - they want their messages to be clearly conveyed, they need to speak professionally and don't want to risk putting off their target audiences with strange - potentially alienating or offensive - terms.

I agree - simplicity is nearly always the best way to market. That's why I usually try to keep sentences very short. Jargon is just laughable. Sentences that are long-winded, verbose justifications of the existential dilemma of the marketing piece and why they are important and warrant immediate purchase of a complex, rather costly product or service tend to result in a loss of the will to live or ..... zzzzzzzzz.

But, I'm just saying that having the kahunas to include a word that may be unfamiliar to the audiences within an overall, well delivered, easy to digest marketing message isn't that big a risk. (Neither is delivering your message in a totally unconventional format ... but that's a post for another day).


So, really marketers - take a risk. Instead of saying integrated, say: knitted or fused; instead of we can inform you, say: we can school you; instead of astute, say: wiley; instead of low low prices, say: our prices are as mad as a meat axe (gasp!).

I'm in no way suggesting you forget your audience and strongly advise against just blurting anything out, but there's something to be said for not taking every little word and marketing initiative so pedantically serious or getting overly paranoid about the reactions' of folks.

Besides, isn't always toeing the line totally, utterly, soul-suckingly, not-another-bland-sale-piece-for-me-to-read B-O-R-I-N-G?


Popular Posts