Musings in the 'burbs - I'm here with all of My People2:34 AM
I don't think you're ever really done finding Your People.
From the cradle to the grave. From daycare to kindy, primary to high school, uni and beyond, twenties, thirties, forties, eighties. You're never really done until your heart stops beating and your mind stops chattering.
What does it mean when you promise someone that no matter how hard or whatever may come?
Once in a while I return to the fold with people I call my own*
You never stop changing. Like it or not, we're all caught up in a never-ending evolution of thought, motion and world events.
The supplementation and refinement of Your People, likewise, never ends. The more you get to know and reknow yourself and others, and the more others get to know and reknow themselves and you; the more reasons there are to both relish and shun. You discover more people who are for you and you get a sense of those who are not for you anymore. Sometimes you are drawn in by and to someone. Or pushed away. Some crush you like rubble til there is nothing left but grit.
People can be Your People then not without erasing their significance in your life. Acquaintances can surprise you by becoming one of your own. So can strangers, clients, children, lovers, adversaries.
As you get older, the new additions to Your People come along fewer and further in between.
Sometimes they come in packs.
Some you give birth to.
Some are those to whom your heart gives way.
You can fill your life and calendar with people who are not Your People. It's thicker than water and denser than friendship.
Looks, wealth and health are never criteria for the people you call your own.
Death isn't a deal breaker either.
Your People can be those:
- who you commit to (and want to commit to) spending a lot of personal time with
- who don't require a lot of mental effort to be around
- who don't want more from you than you have to give
- who make what you give to them worth it in your heart
- who ask about the details of your day even before you get a chance to ask them about theirs
- who make your heart smile
- who make you feel like you are home when you are far from it
- who flash into your consciousness when you are far from ok
- who you gravitate towards when you feel most alive
Shake your hair
Have some fun
forget our mothers and past lovers
OooI'm so luckyYou are my best friendThere's no one, there's no one that knows me like you do **
* Won't Give In - Finn Brothers
** Bros - Alice Wolf
If you liked this you also might like to read:
Why you should avoid the little room on the way to the big room