Song Words That Devour My Heart


Barry Manilow writes the songs ...although not so much my favs ...


I’m fairly certain (ie. have no real proof or detailed knowledge) that it is not possible to be a human earthling that is completely immune to the emotional pull of music and songs.

In the case of some, it might be just one particular genre that pushes all the heavy buttons.

For others, it might be all or any combination of hip hop, classical, pop, goth, house or druid (???) music, that moves them or makes them move.

For all our sakes, I will skip the part where I clumsily attempt to convey the characteristics of the beats and rhythms that usually get me on my feet. But, sounds that rouse are an entirely different proposition, for today I’m talking about being a Word Girl.

A song – or even just a line of a song – doesn’t have to be tear-jerkingly sentimental to me to have it elevated to iPod Repeat status. Sometimes it could be an average song, but if it’s got a unique little mix of phases and word usage or a clever or emotive depiction, chances are it will go platinum on my play list.

So, just for the hellavit, here is a small sample of some of my top song lyrics:

I don’t pretend to know what you want but I offer love
- Distant Sun, Crowded House

Can you imagine that, an insect too delicate to catch; the light that falls through the cracks; an insect too delicate to catch ...
- Fingers of Love. Crowded House
[and basically, just insert any Neil Finn lyric here]

We’re just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl year after year – Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd

Well the music is your special friend, dance on fire as it intends
– When the Music’s Over, The Doors
I found an island in your arms, a country in your eyes, arms that chain, eyes that lie
– Break on Through, The Doors
[ditto, insert any Doors lyric]

I'm made of atoms, You're made of atoms, And were all in this together
And long division Just doesn't matter, Cos were all in this together
... Ask a scientist It's quantum physics, We're all in this together
And on the subway We feel like strangers, But we're all in this together

Ben Lee

The boogies monster of rap,Yeah the man's back
With a plan to ambush this Bush administration, M

Mush the Senate's face in and push this generation,
Of kids to stand and fight for the right to say something you might not like
    
Eminem (there are many more that I love probably more than this one from Marshall Mathers but they’re not palatable out of context (even in!). In my mind, Eminem presents anger imperfectly wrapped up with a dirty, blood-soaked bow - it's a talent to tell a story so convincingly that for a split second when you hear a song you imagine that he probably is a serial killer waking up in Maccas at 3am with dead bodies everywhere. I also like that his songs are like jigsaw puzzles that are put together by taking scissors and sticky-tape to the word pieces and forcing them to fit where they wouldn't ordinarily.

When you can fall for chains of silver, You can fall for chains of gold,
You can fall for pretty strangers And the promises they hold.
You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin,
Now you just say, "Oh Romeo? Yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him" 

- Romeo & Juliet, Dire Straits

I am a weapon of massive consumption, it’s not my fault it’s how I’m programmed to function 
- Lily Allen, The Fear

You’re packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been, A place that has to be believed to be seen, You could have flown away, a singing bird in an open cage ... 
– Walk On, U2

Do you remember Baby how we laughed and cried We said we’d be together til the day we died
How could something so good go so bad? I’d do all again cos you’re the best I ever had

– Darling it Hurts, Paul Kelly

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded, Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over, Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed, The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes 

- Everybody knows, Leonard Coen

Stars when you shine you know how I feel, Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine, And I know how I feel 

– Feelin’ Good, Nina Simone (written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse)

What you want might make you cry, What you need might pass you by If you don't catch it
... And what you need ironically Will turn out what you want to be If you just let it ... 

– When it Hurts so Bad, Lauryn Hill


What about you? What are the song words that get you going?



Popular Posts